Monday, August 8, 2011

De-stressing.

I've had a completely different post written out for almost a week now. But I left my notebook at work and it's been too long since I've written anything here so I'm just going to write this out. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm whining...

One of the things that I've learned about myself lately is that I work well under a certain amount of stress at work. Nothing motivates me to get something done quickly and efficiently like a deadline. It's a good kind of stress. I leave work feeling accomplished and satisfied - and I leave the stress there. Huge difference from my old job.

Revenue (previous job) made me anxious and stressed all the time. I would wake up in the morning with a sore mouth because I was grinding my teeth at night from stress. No matter how hard I tried, I was never measuring up. Even when I was the one setting the standard - I wasn't able to meet it, because they always expected more (this sounds like an exaggeration - it's not). When interviewing for my current job one of the questions the Managers asked me was, "What was a stressful situation at your job and how did you handle it?" I thought for a moment before replying, "Well, it's always stressful at Revenue, regardless of the tax season. There's always too much work and not enough people to do it. So we just have to laugh at ourselves and try to stay positive in order to cope!" Sadly, I considered that interview one of the worst I'd ever done. I thought I bombed it. And I cried the entire way home because I didn't realize how stressed-out I was until they asked me that question. I wanted out after over 3 years at Revenue. But God knew what He was doing. He took care of me, and by some miracle I landed the job that I'm in now. I love the people I work for.

If I face any amount of stress now it's because I'm being challenged and stretched in areas I've never been before. I'm learning things that are completely new - the hard way: trial and error. But it's great. Because I'm good at it, despite the bumps in the road. For example; today was really hard. For the first time in over 16 months that I've worked there I went into overtime because of a work-related issue we were experiencing. I almost fell apart for a few minutes. We had a problem that I didn't understand. I'd done everything I knew to do - correctly - and still things weren't working right, causing some major malfunctions further down the line for other people. But between me and IT, we got it figured out and repaired (turns out my computer is one of only a few in the building with Windows 7, and it's got some crazy kinks to iron out). All will be well. I left this afternoon with a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction.

I don't really have a point to this, other than the fact that God is proving Himself faithful to me. This area of my life is changing. Stress is no longer just something to cope with - it's something I'm learning to thrive under. And that's only by the grace of God.

Writing this out helps a little too... 


How do you handle stress?

4 comments:

  1. How do I handle stress? I breathe! I take a moment, close my eyes, focus on breathing in and out, very slowly. Count my breaths in... and count the same number going out. I do this several times and feel absolutely renewed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stress for me comes from things I can't control. I usually cope with that by doing something I can control that's also productive. Most of the time I go on some kind of cleaning spree. Not that I'm an uber-clean type of person, but I find something that needs doing and do it. Example: when we went to the Lakeland Revival back in 2008, we all had to wait on a member of our church to get through some deliverance counseling with the pastors there, and I noticed lots of trash cans that were full but didn't look like anyone was doing anything about them, so I went around and took care of that. Funny thing, nobody asked me who I was, what I was doing, or why I was doing it.

    (I considered the possibility of going in where other staff members were eating and seeing if anyone noticed, but drew the line at trespassing)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work better to a deadline too. I simply can't be productive without one. I really need to work on that.

    As for how I handle stress - I know my answer should be something to do with prayer or the Bible but in all honesty, I'm not good at turning to those as a first resort. I'm more likely to take a bath, or watch a lot of TV, or sing a lot. Or cry. But I've really started to love Ephesians lately. The whole book - it's great. It always fills me with peace. Worth a shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me? i deal with it and try to back out as soon as i can "a quiet answer turns away wrath"... when not alone i "mutter in tongues" under my breath...knowing that "the Spirit helps us in our weaknesses." i don't know how i ought to pray, "but the Spirit Himself interceeds for us with groanings (mutterings)that word cannot express." Rm 8:26. and He then gives me what i need to make it thru... bro.ken

    ReplyDelete